Easy Gift Ideas
Share your potpourri for birthdays, anniversaries, get-well
sentiments, and party hostesses!
Fill a cellophane bag (found in craft or gift stores), to within 3 inches from the top and tie
with a seasonal ribbon.
Easy to make Sachets
1) Use your favorite fabric or cloth. If you don’t have something at home, try your local fabric
store or superstore.
2) Cut into 4-inch squares.
Tip: If you really want to be creative, sew on some sequins or charms. Iron-on decals look great
too. Just make sure to do these details before these next steps.
3) Face two pieces, correct-side in. The ‘wrong’ side of the fabric should be on the outside.
4) Stitch (by hand or machine) two full sides and 3/4 of the remaining two sides.
(essentially leaving yourself an “L” shaped corner to work with.)
5) Gently push to reverse the fabric through your “L” shaped hole. Now the correct-side of
the fabric should be facing out.
6) Fill the material (pocket) with your home-made potpourri.
7) Smooth out and move the potpourri around until the pocket is full and even but not overflowing. Leave room for stitching to close the sachet.
8) Tuck in the frayed edges to match to rest of the fabric side.
9) Stitch the “L” shaped corner by hand.
Tip : If you’d like to personalize this ornament with glue and glitter, do so after step #9.
Tip: these are great for dresser drawers, closets, party and shower favors.
Need unique Holiday gifts?
Turn your potpourri into Holiday ornaments!
Follow our “How to Make Your Own Potpourri” steps, and “Easy to Make Sachets.”
- Use seasonal fabric or a tree skirt
- Use balsam or pine essential oil, there are many holiday choices now available in fragrance oils.
(When shopping online for fragrance oils, we go to candlepro.com.)
After making the potpourri and sachet:
Cut a piece of thin holiday ribbon about 6-7 inches long.
Before gluing the ribbon length, test by making a loop that stretches from the front side of the sachet, to
the back side. Make sure the loop is big enough to hang on a Christmas tree branch.
Hot-glue or fabric glue one end of the ribbon to the front side of the sachet, just below
the “L” corner you sewed. Glue the other end of the ribbon on the back side of your
sachet just under the “L” corner. Let dry for 12 – 24 hours.
Your friends will hang this on their tree for years to come…and it will keep all of the decorations smelling great when they pack them away until next year!
A memorable and everlasting sympathy gift.
Use your home-made potpourri to make a sachet from an article of clothing, or any cloth that belonged
to the person who has passed away. For example, curtains, an apron, a blanket. You can do this for yourself or a loved one.
If you do this for someone other than yourself, someone you’re close to, a nice way to ask for the material is: “You know Mary, I have something special I’d like to do for you, as another remembrance of your mom. Do you have an article of clothing that she loved to wear or something that you loved to see her in? If you can part with it, I’d like to make something very special that you can always remember her in. I want to make it a surprise, so you let me know if you have an article of clothing I can use. Just make sure it’s something that you don’t mind will not
be returned in it’s original form.”
Substitute an article of clothing as the fabric in the “Easy to Make Sachets” instructions. Gift
wrap for your friend and they’ll always remember their loved-one with that material.